MUSSEL CHOWDER (SERVES 4)
1 pack mussel meats (1lb)
1 tablespoon oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 oz celery, chopped
2 strips of bacon, finely chopped
4 medium potatoes, cubed
2 cups fish stock or water
Parsley, chopped, 1 tablespoon
3⁄4 cup cream
Salt & pepper to taste
• Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
• Add the onion, bacon and celery and sauté for 2-3 minutes until softened.
• Add the fish stock or water. Bring to a simmer and add the potatoes.
• Continue simmering for approximately 10 minutes, until the potatoes
have cooked and are soft, and the liquid has reduced.
• Add the mussel meats. Return the pan to a simmer and add the parsley
and the cream. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer gently until the
mussel meats are tender and hot through, then season to taste and serve.
Pickled Mussels (4 servings)
2 packs of Next Wave of Bantry all Natural Mussel Meat
2 bay leaves
3 garlic cloves, sliced
6.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
6.5 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp of sweet paprika
Put the mussel meat into a microwaveable bowl and heat on maximum for 2 minutes (from frozen), or 1.5 minutes if already thawed.
Heat the oil in a skillet and add the garlic slices, cooking gently until golden. Add the bay leaves and let cool slightly.
Add the paprika and stir in so that is does not burn. Carefully add the vinegar and then pour the mixture over the hot mussels, covering them with the marinade.
Let stand a few hours before consuming, so the perfectly pickled flavor infuses the mussels.
Salt will not usually be necessary as the mussels have a slight hint of salt from the sea!
Serving suggestion: As a Spanish “tapas” or appetizer, accompanied by crusty bread to dip into the tasty sauce.
White Wine Seafood Marabella
– 1 pkg Next Wave Seafood Medley
– 4 Tbs olive oil
– 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
– 2 garlic gloves, finely chopped
– 14.5 oz can chopped tomatoes
– 6 oz concentrated tomato paste
– 1 tsp of mediterranean herbs
– 1 tsp of chili flakes or granulated
– Pinch salt
– 1 bay leaf
– 3.4 fl oz fish stock
Heat oil in a pan and sauté onions and garlic until golden. Add Seafood Medley to pan. Mix well, until mussels start opening. Add dry ingredients and stir fry (~5 minutes). Add tomatoes and tomato paste, white wine and fish stock. Bring to boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with pasta or rice. Serves 2. Mangia!
STIR – FRY SEAFOOD WITH PEPPERS & SPINACH
This is a delicious, quick dinner for two. Pick up the ingredients on your way home.